February 3, 2015
A group of experts selected by Google to give advice on a European court ruling instructing it to pull out some personal information from the search results is tending to limit the application to European websites only.
The territorial reach of the “right to be forgotten” decision from the European Court of Justice (ECJ) has put the search engine giant at odds with the European Union’s data protection watchdogs, who have told it to remove links across all relevant versions of its website, including Google.com.
Google has said that scrubbing links from all its European websites, such as Google.de in Germany, is in line with the ruling handed down last May. “The outcome of the discussions has been so far that Google has applied the ruling in a pan-European way,” said Professor Luciano Floridi of Oxford University, one of the members of the ten-strong Advisory Council which includes two Google executives. “There is a general agreement at least among most members of the Advisory Council that this is a good compromise.”